Tuesday, April 5, 2016

New Tire

I decided to replace the rear tire on my 2016 Kawasaki KLR650. The KLR650 comes in stock form with Dunlop K750s that aren't sufficient for the terrains we have in Florida. Rather, a good block knobby is needed. I had my dealer install a set of 40/60 Continental TKC80 Twinduros. Now at just about 3,000 miles, I need to change the rear TKC80.


While the Conti has done great, the road work getting to rallies really took its toll. The center block, which is normally 11mm, had worn down to 2mm. While at the Devil's Creek Rally last month I struggled getting through some muddy sections and that was the likely cause. So while there's a lot of tread elsewhere on the tire, that center block is all but shot. Onward...

I reviewed other tires and thought that I may go with something like a Dunlop D606 or Kenda K760, but I got a good deal on the replacement TKC80 from Revzilla ($105 w/free shipping) right at a time that Conti is increasing prices. So this may be the last TKC80.

I don't change my own tires. It's one of those areas that's way too much work when someone will do it for $20-$30 if I take them the removed wheel. Removal of the wheel was simple. The brake caliper comes off as one unit and can be hung out of the way with a zip tie on the frame. Then the axle bolt is removed and the axle is slid out. On the other side, the wheel is pushed forward and the chain is simply pulled off the sprocket and hung over the swing arm.


Viola!


I was hoping to get the tire earlier today and installed as I'm running short on time leading up to the Road & Trails Rally starting Friday. Unfortunately, while it went out for delivery this morning at 6:30AM, I didn't get it until 7:30PM. So my KLR will just have to wait until tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment