Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Exhaust Cover Mod

A member of the FaceBook KLR650 Group posted a neat little modification to the stock exhaust pipe guard the other day that I thought was interesting. No benefit, total bling, but I had a big "repairs and maintenance" day in my shop today so I fit in the mod in the middle of everything else.

Here's a before shot:

Here's an after shot:


Again, before:


Again, after:


The silver was my idea. I have high heat paint in several colors. If this doesn't fly, I'll easily go back to black. I have orange, too. :)

I had to change out the hardware. Turns out the cover was actually loose. There are little rubber grommets (P/N 92161-1475) around sleeves connecting the cover to the pipe...not a good place for rubber. In the year and couple weeks I've owned the bike the grommets were rotten and deteriorated by the heat. I just used larger sleeves, no rubber on the inside and vinyl washers on the outside.

Update:

Well, I decided that I didn't like the silver and went back to black, but I put a gloss hi-heat on to tie into the crash guards.


No comments:

Post a Comment