Wednesday, December 28, 2016

More Nomad Woes

I have a set of Nomad Rider front crash guards on my 2016 KLR650. I purchased them in December of last year and by March the front downtube mounting plate on the right guard snapped clean. It wasn't the guard tube itself or a weld; it was the thick metal mating plate...and it's quite thick! Ultimately, Nomad had me a replacement in a week.

Fast forward to yesterday and I was at my dealer having some work done. They noticed that the footpeg mounting plate on the Nomad left guard has snapped. I hadn't noticed it.


I don't know anything about metallurgy but there really must be something wrong with the metal that this outfit is using. On the other hand, I note that SW Motech changed their design relative to the lower mount from the footpeg mount similar to the Nomad to a frame mount. Perhaps there's some design issues at play.

Well, at first I was kind of angry about the break and telling myself I was just going to get another brand set of bars. But like the last time, Nomad has quickly responded by shipping out a new guard. There was really no harm in this incident and they're promptly replacing the defective part. No harm no foul and I'm not out any money. I suppose for some the install might be a pain, but I actually enjoy working on my bikes so I don't have a problem replacing the part. Maybe I'll find some maintenance thing to do while I'm at it. :)

Update:

As of February 11, 2017, Nomad Rider has not replaced the fractured left guard as they promised. Not only did they agree to replace it, they got me to agree to accept a matte black bar which did not match the right gloss black bar. I have since installed a set of Tusk bars.

2 comments:

  1. Gee, I dunno. Once is an anomaly, twice gives cause for real concern. What has the seller told you by way of explanation?

    Any protection is better than nothing but those breaks would have me guessing that the first fall would cause some real grief...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's now February 11 and I still have not received the the replacement Nomad Rider bar. As mentioned in another post, I've installed a set of Tusk bars.

    ReplyDelete