Monday, February 8, 2016

Dual Sport Rally Tool Kits

I find it interesting to hear what tools and replacement parts some folks carry on their dual sport or adventure motorcycles during rallies and other similar events. Out on the road, you can call the AMA Roadside Assistance to come bail you out (it's part of our membership). On some adventure rides and most rallies, we need to be prepared to do enough to at least get ourselves out of the woods and that brings up the tool kits and how we carry our tools and parts.

There's a very broad perspective on this topic. Some riders don't carry anything. Some riders prepare themselves for some unusual repairs. I once saw a rider talking about carrying spare valve shims to be prepared to adjust his valves. Yikes!

Where I am in the range of perspectives, I don't know. However, I just finished putting my rally kit together from my first Adventure Rally down in Immokalee, Florida (slightly north east of Naples) this weekend. Here are a couple photos of what I've pulled together and I'll go through a list:



Here's what all is there:
  • Front tube (MSR 90/90-21)
  • Rear tube (Factory 130/80-17)
  • Slime Power Sport Air Compressor (pre-installed fused lead on battery; extra fuse)
  • Tire iron
  • Tire Iron/27mm Wrench Combo (Rear Axle Nut; Motion Pro T6)
  • 19mm boxed end wrench (Front Axle Nut)
  • Valve stem tool
  • Slime mini air pressure gauge
  • Crescent wrench (6 inch)
  • Small vice grip
  • Needle nose
  • 1/4" Ratchet (6" and 3" extensions; 8mm-14mm long sockets; 2 flat bit drivers; 2 philips drivers; 5mm-6mm allens)
  • Chain kit (Chain oil; 2 x disposable rubber gloves; towel; stays at basecamp)
  • 6 x 11" Zip Ties
  • 1/2 Quart of oil (stays at basecamp)
  • Tow/Lift Rope (about 25')
  • Hand towel
  • 9/10 gallons of gas (on the rack)
I own two Rotopax cells and have a coupler to mount both, but only need one for most local and regional events. With a single Rotopax I can tackle about any event with two usable gallons in the tank and close to one on the rear. That both lowers weight and helps the weight distribution. The last time I carried two cells was on an Adventure up to Prudoe Bay Alaska back in 2012. Although the cells hold a gallon, I only put in 9/10 of a gallon because the gas expands. I've never had expanding gas burst the cell, but it will make it nearly impossible to spin off the mounting screw.


Missing Items:
  • Spark Plugs: I haven't carried a spare spark plug since I stopped buying 2-stroke motorcycles. Today's motorcycles run so lean that fouling them isn't a big risk and I've never had a bad plug on a contemporary 4-stroke motorcycle, trail riding or otherwise.
  • Master Link: I used to carry clip-type master links, but with the newer chains with rivet-type masters the weak link (no pun intended) is eliminated.
All of the hand tools go into a little tool bag and the small bits and ratchet go into a baggy so they're easily accessible. Note that I don't have any screw drivers. What I do is use the flat head and Philips driver bits in the ratchet extension. If I need more torque, I put the ratchet on it. I actually rolled some gorilla tape on the long extension to make like a handle out of it.


That and everything (except the air compressor and air gauge while actually on the rally) go into an old Bilt Tail Bag I have that is 12" x 9" x 7". The air compressor/gauge needs to be more accessible for frequent airing up/down of tires. For that I have a small tank bag.


How much does all that weigh (excluding fuel cell)? 12 pounds.


That get's netted and then bungeed onto the tail rack along with the Rotopax Cell. The double strapping doesn't add any weight and is a precaution against one or the other failing.


A couple items that aren't tools but just as important are:
  • Spare Ignition Key
  • SPOT and SatNav
  • Cell phone
  • Ben's 100% Deet Bug Repellent (Alaska Proven!)
  • Sun Screen and ChapStick
  • First aid: 6 x regular size bandaids, 4 x small butterflies
  • Fox Low-Pro 2 quart hydration backpack


That's it. Let's get this show on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment