Tuesday, December 18, 2018

2019 KLX 250

While at my dealer, Tampa Bay Powersports, delivering and loading the KLR650 for the water-pump work discussed in the last restoration post, I noticed that Kawasaki now offered a KLX 250 in Camo. Kool looking bike.

Over the next couple weeks I talked myself into buying it with an eye toward using the lighter dual sport for the Florida Rally tracks. Due to the deep sand and heavy mud, I usually get trapped in the Discovery or B/C groups with the KLR in Florida; some other places also. Plus, I'm just getting old; turning 60 here shortly. The -130 pounds that the KLX gives up to the KLR will ease the pain so to speak. 

So I picked up the KLX on December 5, ran it through some quick trials in Richloam WMA (Brooksville) and was off to the Wild Bear Rally in Ocala National Forest on the 7th. 


I've added a link to the new blog in the sidebar.

Following is a copy of the post from the Wild Bear Safari held in the Ocala National Forest on December 7-8, 2018.



I completed my second Wild Bear Safari Dual Sport Rally this past weekend, December 7-9. The rally tracked some great forest roads and trails through Ocala National Forest on Saturday and New Smyrna Beach on Sunday (before we got rained out on Sunday).

My original plan was to use my KLR650 for the rally, but having picked up the KLX just a few days earlier I thought I'd give it a whorl...even though it only had 20 miles on it. Of course, I had to keep with the running in requirements, but that really wasn't too much of a problem. One of these dual sport rallies, with the constantly changing rpm levels, is probably a good way to do the running in.

Here are some photos of the rally:

So this is my routine setup at the rallies that I attend. I have a 5' x 8' enclosed utility trailer to transport the bike and that holds all my stuff. It then serves as my camper for evenings. If I don't have electric hookup, I carry my 2000 Watt Predator Generator that I got at Harbor Freight. It's good for lights and fans, but not anything heated. It did a good job lighting the Christmas lights on my canopy.




This was the rider's meeting on Saturday.


Most anything here off road in Florida looks like this. You learn to ride in sand...or you ride with the Harley guys and Sport Bike Squids on the streets.






Okay, so I usually try and find good photo ops. Sometimes I do better jobs than others, so I stopped here with an eye toward getting some action in this dip on film. Everyone took the bypass. If I wasn't running in my little KLX I'd definitely have rolled through this.











This restaurant was in Crescent City, Florida. Wow! What an awesome place. I wish we had something like this around where I live.




Lastly, the Wild Bear was also a Toys for Tots Donation Site. I donated a couple nice starter fishing sets.


No comments:

Post a Comment