Monday, May 9, 2016

Richloam

The Richloam WMA was center stage for this year's Devil's Creek Dual Sport Rally. It can be a little treacherous so I tend to keep to the principal (improved) forest roads when I 'm on my own. Yesterday, however, my son wanted to visit the Swamp so he was on my 2016 Kawasaki KLR650 and I was on my 2016 Suzuki DR650.

Although we're still in the dry season, Richloam has a tendency to have a lot of water, which is why it's a favorite for dual sport riders. However, sometimes you can't navigate through the water and sometimes you can't navigate around either.









Here I am below losing the rear in the sand. I'm running Shinko Big Block E-804/805 on the DR650 and Continental TKC80s on the KLR650. Both are 40/60 dual sport tires. I'd say that the Conti front has an edge over the Shinko front in the sand, both rear tires are about the same in sand. Both tire sets (front+rear) do a really fair job in the water and mud for 40/60s. I wouldn't want to have anything less than these big block tires out in the sandbox.


Sam, my son, could have made it through there just fine on the Conti's but he lost momentum and ground in. This happens and is why one really doesn't want to take on the back forest roads alone. Two guys can get a bike out of most everything. Also, I carry a 50' rope for tow help.




One other thing to remember about the swamp is there's critters in there. We saw a five foot water moccasin in this stretch.



Better to test the waters before diving in. There are other vehicles (motorcycles and four wheelers) going through there tearing up the bottom so you need to find the line. Sometimes there is no line. Then you need to find a way around or turn back. Either way, high waterproof boots are in order.





Here's a link to a MAP of the Richloam WMA. Give it a shot sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment