Friday, March 11, 2016

Makeshift Jack KLR650

I have some motorcycle stands, none of which work with the KLR, and I really didn't feel like going out and spending money on a jack stand that would work when I've got all kinds of other things I'd rather have. So I improvised a jack stand using my automotive 3-ton hydraulic jack.

Essentially what I have here is a simple 2 x 4 out of which I sliced a groove such that the two side blocks aligned with the frame on either side. Then I covered the stand block with some thick drawer liner pad to help prevent slipping.


On the bottom are a couple carved out pieces of wood sized to fit tightly over the circular jack point on the hydraulic jack.


The stand block is held in place by the weight of the motorcycle. Depending on what I'm doing, I may include tie downs. It's mostly stable, but a good bump and it would fall over on me.



At the moment, it only works to lift the rear of the KLR650. The main thing I wanted it for is to clean and lube the chain, which without a stand is a pain in the rear. I'm getting the job done with this simple makeshift jack stand block and my hydraulic jack.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! No words. You always go one step beyond.

    There is so much great, useful information here. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Read our guide if you wish.
    themotorbiker

    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete