Friday, March 11, 2016

KLR650 Fender Elimination

The rear fender on my 2016 Kawasaki KLR650 is in three main pieces. There are front and rear fender pieces and a fender flap (as its called) that acts as a mud guard out the rear of the bike. The fender flap also has the license plate bracket and license plate lighting assembly. The next photo is what the stock assembly looks like.



I decided that I wanted to eliminate the Rear Fender Flap. I was not encountering any contact with the tire. Rather, I just think the motorcycle looks better without the flap. Below is a photo with the flap removed and the license plate bracket affixed to the Rear Fender Rear. I think it looks a ton better!


Removal of the Rear Fender Flap was simple. First, the two side covers and seat were removed. Then the luggage rack was removed.


Then there are four 10mm bolts that hold the Flap to the Rear Fender Rear. I pulled those and the Flap dropped right out, although the license plate light connector (white connector, under seat, left side) needed to be disconnected. Here's what came off. Flap, license plate light harness and license plate light cover.


I removed the license plate bracket from the Flap and installed it on the rear fender.


I think it looks a lot better. I'm very happy with this mod!



The one item that I'm currently missing to make this a "legal" modification is a license plate light (required in my state). The stock light doesn't work and, out of all the piles of little electronics I have stockpiled, I couldn't find a little LED or something that I could mount in an inconspicuous way. So I'll look around and then update this post when I find and install something for a license plate light.

Update:

Okay, I promised to get back to you when I found a solution for the license plate light. What I came across was a couple LED License Plate Bolts on eBay for $4.77 (including shipping); I see they're now $5.02.


I wired them into the license plate lead in the harness and they seemed to throw off enough light to be legal, but not distort the brake or running lights.



There you go!!!!

7 comments:

  1. most excellent, your little LEDS are a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look, are the LEDs single or 2 wire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 wire; Use eBay vendor TopCellar. Most recent price is $4.47 for 2 w/free ship. Just did a similar mod to my DR650.

      http://stores.ebay.com/topceller/

      Delete
  3. hey thank man, i just ordered the lights great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's dope i just did this on my 09 ladt night. Not sure why but i did not have to remove the seat or the rack bolts. There were just 4 screws holding the flap in place :d

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing just found this now and will do the mod tomorrow! Thanks a bunch! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job. One constructive comment, after you remove the plastic flap, you need cut it so that you can bolt it back in place as to cover the under side. Trim the excess so it would not be seen from a normal standing position, but leaving that piece under will stop mud, water and pebbles from going in.

    ReplyDelete