Saturday, December 12, 2015

Richloam+GreenSwamp WMA

It's difficult to get on some of the primo dual sport trails and roads during hunting season, which is usually most all of the Fall. Generally, dual sporters, jeepers, mountain bikers and the like allow hunters undisturbed access to the forests during the fairly short hunting season. I'm a hunter and I, along with other users think it's only fair that they/we get to use these resources too. However, historically the hunters in the Wildlife Management Areas (WMA), such as Richloam WMA and the adjacent GreenSwamp WMA, are done hunting in the morning and we dual sporters can get out on the forest roads in the afternoon. Not the case this week.

The Richloam and GreenSwamp WMAs combine over over 108,000 acres of protected forest with many forest roads running in and out. But every road I tried, had me run into a group of hunters. In respect for it being their time, I turned around and rolled out where I rolled in. I could of rolled up to the Croom WMA, a short jaunt away but decided against it. Bummer, but after this month it's clear sailing until next November! Plus, a little further, but I always have Ocala National Forest to ride.

I did get to pull the camera on a couple occasions out in the forest.






This is the main forest about a mile into the main Green Swamp WMA (east side of SR471). Yup, gets a little wet in there. No way around that either. I absolutely hate riding through flooded areas, especially when you can't see the bottom. This is the swamp and all that implies...


Cold Creek is on the south side of GreenSwamp WMA.





First boo-boo. I noticed my seat cover is coming unstapled or unglued or whatever's holding it down. I'll need to check this weekend. If there's one thing I may hate more than riding in water, it's working on seats.


Hope you enjoyed!

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your blog. Thanks for all the great info I've found so far! Just bought a 2016 KLR650 and really looking forward to learning how to ride off road(I've been riding since the '80's but strictly humongous cruisers). I live in Spring Hill and was wondering where to ride but you've given me some ideas (WMA's) Thanks again. Doug.

    ReplyDelete