Wednesday, November 11, 2015

2016 Kawasaki KLR650

Having been in production (in virtually the same form) since 1987, I've had many, many opportunities to purchase a Kawasaki KLR 650. However, there's always been the next new and great machine that, while probably thousands more expensive, is where I spent my money. However, while looking through the new lineup of 2016 dual sport models, I came across the Special Edition Digital Camouflage, 2016 Kawasaki KLR 650 and thought that this may be the KLR that gets my attention.


As is fairly obvious, the KLR 650 is a dual sport/dual purpose motorcycle. It has a water cooled, 651cc 4-stroke, single cylinder engine that is fueled by a nearly archaic Keihin Constant Velocity (CV) Carburetor .... yes, it's 2016 and I said Carburetor.



The KLR 650 is sort of a heavy bugger for a dual sport. It has a wet weight of 432 pounds, which is about 100 more than I like to have laying on top of me out in the forest. It also  has a 21 inch front and 17 inch rear wheels that are perfect in size; just need to get some "Florida-Purpose" tires for it.


I also ride a 2015 Kawaski Versys 1000 LT. Since March I've racked up 18,500 miles on that sport touring motorcycle. However, for the rest of this year and early into next year, I'm going to be stuck here in Florida. So I got thinking some dual sporting would be fun this Fall and Winter. I'm not new to dual sport or adventure/overland riding in the least. However, it has been awhile since I put myself through that kind of pounding. What the heck, though. The KLR 650 has an impeccable reputation. There are a ton of kewl mods and accessories that one can do with them. I'm thinking let's go for it! Wooohoooo!

Oh wait, the Digital Camo Special Edition Model hasn't been released yet. Snap!

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. i got my 2016 klr 650 camo at tampa power sports & the bike is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I've now been told by my dealer (Barneys) that delivery on mine is two weeks out.

      Delete